Jump to contentJump to search

International Students

General Information

  • To register for classes online, you will need your student ID and password. If you cannot register, please send an email to the instructor of the class in which you would like to participate.
  • Make sure to introduce yourselves very briefly to the professors you are emailing:
    • Mention your name and enrolment number (Matrikelnummer) as well as your home university and your major study programme.
    • Tell them how many ECTS credits you hope, ideally, to receive.4
  • Usually, you will hear back from the professors within a few business days and they will admit you to their classes. If you do not receive an answer to your question within a week or so, write again.
  • You will receive 2-8 CP in each course, depending on the workload, the assignments you complete and the type of exam you take at the end of the semester.
  • Please note: This matter needs to be discussed with each professor individually!
  • At the beginning of each semester, you will receive a syllabus from your instructor.
  • The syllabus contains most of the information you need to prepare for and participate in a course, though further and more specific announcements may be made in class
  • You will not be graded for (oral) in-​class participation.
  • However, there will be (written) assignments – such as an oral presentation or an essay – that need to be completed in order to attain a BN

What is a BN?

  • A BN (Beteiligungsnachweis) is a certificate of participation that students will receive  at the end of the semester if they meet the course requirements.
  • The BN is worth 2 CP.
  • Course requirements as well as assignment types may vary from class to class, and from professor to professor. Make sure to read the syllabus and do not hesitate to ask your professor.
  • If you wish to be graded, you will have to pass an AP.  

What is an AP?

  • An AP (Abschlussprüfung) is a graded assignment, such as a term paper, a longer essay, a written or oral examination, which students usually complete at the end of the term or during the semester break.
  • In addition to the grade, an AP allows you to receive up to 8 CP total (including the BN). 
  • Registration: Please contact your instructor to discuss your exam and register for it. You cannot register for exams online!  

To receive a ToR, you will have to submit all your BN and exam certificates to your German academic coordinator at the end of your stay, or as soon as you have them. So, please ask all your instructors to give (or email) these certificates to you; you must then show them to your coordinator. Alternatively, you can ask your instructors to forward your exam results directly to your academic Erasmus coordinator here at HHU. TORs will not be issued automatically!

Contact Information

Philipp Erchinger

Senior Lecturer

PD Dr. Philipp Erchinger
Building: 23.21
Floor/Room: 02.51
+49 211 81-13275

Helena Küster


Helena Küster M.A.
Building: 23.21
Floor/Room: 02.094
+49 211 81-11507

Christian Uffmann


Dr. Christian Uffmann
Building: 23.21
Floor/Room: 02.101
+49 211 81-13575

Responsible for the content: