Section English Language and Linguistics
There are two professors in ‘English Language and Linguistics‘, Tania Kouteva and Ingo Plag, and a number of post-doctoral researchers and PhD students. Tania Kouteva is an internationally renowned specialist in language development and grammaticalization, Ingo Plag is a leading researcher in morphology and in creole studies.
Research and teaching covers a broad range of topics in all linguistic subsystems: phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, pragmatics and text linguistics, with specializations in the following domains:
- Varieties of English (Jessica Sabban),
- discourse grammar (Hülya Belketin, Tania Kouteva),
- NP syntax (Christine Günther),
- functional syntax and text linguistics (Heidrun Dorgeloh, Gero Kunter),
- phonological theory (Christian Uffmann),
- word-formation (Linda Hilkenbach, Gero Kunter Ingo Plag),
- morpho-phonetics (Sonia Ben Hedia, Julia Zimmermann, Gero Kunter, Ingo Plag),
- second language acquisition and language contact (Katja Jäschke, Ingo Plag, Christian Uffmann),
- analogical modeling of language (Ingo Plag, Lea Kawaletz; in collaboration with Sabine Arndt-Lappe [U Trier]),
- grammatical variation (Christine Günther, Gero Kunter, Katja Jäschke, Ingo Plag),
- word-formation semantics (Lea Kawaletz, Ingo Plag),
- pragmatics (Julia Muschalik) and
- English in professional domains (Heidrun Dorgeloh, Julia Muschalik).